Slide Show

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Siren Suicides by Ksenia Anske

Today I want to share with you my thoughts about Siren Suicides series, by Ksenia Anske. But first I want to say a few words.

I ‘met’ Ksenia through Twitter a while after I created my account. She, like me, was working on her first novel and she, like me, was very passionate about her writing. So we had a few things in common and she was the first indie writer I followed. It was fun reading her tweets and talking to her.


In a way, through her tweets, I followed her work from start to end so I was very curious and excited to read her story. Siren Suicides ended up to be in three volumes and my curiosity grew bigger. From what I had read on her blog, it sounded like a promising story.

So, when everything was ready, I downloaded the books from her Website, since Ksenia gives her books for free.

And then it was time to read them!

For those who are not familiar with the books the story follows Ailen Bright, a troubled teenager that decides to put an end to her painful life, by drowning in her bathtub. When things don’t go as expected, Ailen runs to the bridge near her house and pretty soon she finds herself at the bottom of a lake. There she meets five sirens who tempting her to be one of them. And she surrenders to their will.

I read the first book a while before the year ended. It was pleasant and interesting. I really like Ksenia’s way of writing and I’m amazed with the detailed way she can describe feelings. I mean Ailen’s feelings were all over the books and that was a little too heavy for me, but it didn’t stand in the way of enjoying the book. I really loved the way the book started. It made my skin crawl. It was amazing. 

With book two, I have mixed feelings. Not because of the writing, but because of the story. You see, everything happens so fast, only in a few days, and that made me frown. Plus a few perks of being siren, didn’t really persuade me.

With book three I was excited. The story was getting better and I read the first half of the book in no time. A little after the middle though I felt like I had read that again, but hopefully, pretty soon it drew my attention again.

I was curious to find out how the story would end. Ailen is a really interesting character since we can see her troubled soul and her fight to survive even if every fiber of her body pushes her toward to destruction. When I reached the end, I wasn’t happy. I had guessed what was going to happen and I didn’t agree with it.

Ksenia’s last words though, the way she closes this story, really touched my heart. I know she wrote this book wanting to shout out to everyone how beautiful life is and try to eliminate the thoughts about suicide and that is what matters the most.

So, overall, Siren Suicides is an interesting read and Ksenia’s writing talks into your heart. I will definitely read more of her books and I recommend you to give it a try too. Every book has something to give us and Ksenia has a very important thing to say.

So four big stars to Siren Suicides from me!
I wish the best, Ksenia.


3 comments:

  1. I "know" Ksenia through Twitter, too! Haven't checked out Siren Suicides, though. (My TBR pile is way too huge right now, heh.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any suicide-themed stories. Your reviews always make me so curious about books that fall way outside my comfort zone! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Ksenia was one of the first indie writers I followed too! She pulls thoughts right out of my head and tweets them.

    ReplyDelete