Slide Show

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Maggie Lane


Maggie Lane! I mean … wow! This woman is like a leaf against a gust of wind and I want to pin her to the ground and have a chat with her. Oh, I loved her!

Some of you know what I am talking about, right? It’s the Shadow Town by Robyn Jones. Are you ready for a new adult paranormal romance with a dash of mystery and a crazy, beautiful character? Please join me.

I wanted to read this book since Robyn mentioned she was working on it and it was beautiful. Maggie Lane is property manager of Pearl Estates, a posh housing community owned by her father and occupied by Shadows, but she’s also working as a waitress. When a girl goes missing, Maggie wants answers and soon enough she finds herself tangled in a new reality where the Shadows are her main concern. How is she going to deal with them when nightmares from her past keep troubling her mind?

Well, Maggie surprised me. I thought she would be a tough girl, but she ended up being naïve and unprotected against the people who want to control her life. At first I frowned reading how easy some people could control her, but as the story moved on and I learned more about her past, I understood her. She pretends to have a tough shell, but inside she is a soft existence, craving for love. She is a very interesting character and I found myself connecting with her.

I really loved the way Robyn gives us bits and pieces from Maggie’s past and I kept reading, wanting to learn the story, trying to figure out what terrible thing happened to her. Her nightmares are addictive and I leaned over my e-reader trying not to miss a word.

Robyn has created some awesome characters and even if Maggie has eyes only for one, I couldn’t miss the importance of the others too. As I couldn’t miss the ass! I mean okay, how perfect an ass can be? LoL. :) I think I’m being a little jealous! :)

What “bugged” me a little, is the pace of the story. Sometimes I felt it was too fast and I found it hard to believe some of Maggie’s reactions and some other times it was a little slow. It’s not something major, just an observation. As I’d like her to play it a little hard to get. I’d love reading about this phase where the characters try to decide if they will give in or not. I could use some more of that here.

So, that’s it. Maggie is a crazy girl with an interesting story you need to explore. I’m curious what will happen to her in the next book, because Maggie has more troubles yet to face.

As Robyn says in the book: Words can free you, but they can kill you too. What’s it gonna be for Maggie? We’ll just have to wait for the sequel. Until then, enjoy the Shadow Town!


3 comments:

  1. Maggie does have some crazy in her. Thank you for diving into her world and sharing your trip! I have a short novella coming out this summer from the POV of a side character. (It's darker-I stepped outside my comfort zone a bit.)

    I hope you're having a great week! If not, We're the Millers time, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A novella! Oh, darker and a side character from Shadow Town! Sounds like my thing. :)

      I hope you're having a great week too, Robyn,

      Delete
  2. Oh Athina :D What a great review. I just loved Maggie. Robyn has a wonderful way with creating character's and their stories. I loved hearing your take on this one! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete