Slide Show

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Looking for Alaska by John Green


Miles "Pudge" Halter is going willingly to a boarding school. A choice he made in order to change his dull life and search for the “Great Perhaps”. The moment Pudge is stepping into Culver Creek Boarding School, his life is not dull anymore but crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring as the world of Culver Creek. But amongst the craziness there is Alaska Young, a girl that pulls him into her world and steals his heart.

When I started reading this book, I knew that tings wouldn't be about sunshine and rainbows. First because Miles was a deeply depressed teenager and because the title of the book made me think that something would go terribly wrong with Alaska Young. So I waited for it to happen.

The book was easy to read and I enjoyed reading about the teenage pranks and love. Even though Miles was the main character, Alaska was the spotlight. She was the one I cared about, the one I wanted to know better and Pudge was there to help me get to know her. I can't remember another book that I cared so much about a character that wasn't the MC and it was a nice feeling. Pudge made me connect with Alaska and that is great writing.

As far as the plot/story is concerned, I wasn't so thrilled. We follow their everyday routine at school and it was a little boring from time to time. I wanted something to happen other than the pranks and the inevitable I was waiting for Alaska. I won't tell you if it happened or not, but I'll tell you that I enjoyed the parts about religion and the old man who taught that course. Looking for Alaska has some pretty good characters that's for sure.

It was good book. Have you read it?

Here are some quotes. Enjoy!

“They couldn’t bear the idea of death being a big black nothing, couldn’t bear the thought of their loved ones not existing and couldn’t even imagine themselves not existing. I finally decided that people believed in an afterlife because they couldn’t bear not to.”

“Everything that comes together falls apart. Everything. The chair I’m sitting on. It was built, and so it will fall apart. I’m gonna fall apart, probably before this chair. And you’re gonna fall apart. The cells and organs and systems that makes you you  - they came together grew together and so must fall apart. The Buddha knew one thing science didn’t prove for millennia after his death: entropy increases. Things fall apart.”



10 comments:

  1. Absolutely agree with everything you're saying. Isn't that one Green's debut novel? There is just so much school routine to the whole thing that I really couldn't even bother finishing it. If I wanna read about everyday school, I don't need to read a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too much routine I can see why you DNF this one.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I've stared at this book on the shelves at the grocery store so many times. I never pulled the trigger and read it. From the blurb and title I felt the same thing as you. I love how the MC was sort of there to give you Alaska. I also love how John Green doesn't write anything snazzy or fancy, but he wraps his characters around you thoroughly.

    How's the writing going? Still on the dark story? Oh, how was your trip? I'm remember something about you traveling soon, but work has sucked out my brain. I am not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Robyn!
      I haven't written in a while since I wasn't in town. I took a week off to clear my mind and just rest. The trip was good but long, as always. What we can do , right? Now that I'm back I need to find time to finish the dark story since it's so close to finish that it hurts I don't have time.
      Did you have a wonderful time? How was the new floors but no furniture experience? :)

      Delete
    2. Oh the new floors. Turned out there was furniture...stored in the rooms we were staying in. Plus a few stools to sit on. There was one nice chair which turned into a "I was there first!" deal too many times. But the trip was wonderful. It even snowed. Did you get time in the sun and sand? Maybe the time away from the dark story will push you right where you want to take your MC.

      Happy flying, Athina!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I haven't read this book but I heard lots of teenagers love it. Maybe I'm just not young like that anymore to feel that but I do enjoy good books. I haven't even read Fault in our Stars even if it's on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe we're "too old for this shit!":D heheehe

      I want to read fault in our stars too at some point!

      Thanks for stopping by, Ki!

      Delete
  4. Blah, I didn't like this one and I haven't read any other John Green books since. I could not relate to the characters at all and I didn't like Alaska. Probably because she reminded me of the bad influence girl my younger brother was dating at the time I read this. Lol!

    I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember seeing a lot of praise for this book in the past. Until your post, though, I never really knew anything about this book, I must admit. I didn't even know Alaska was an actual person. I thought the title was referencing...y'know...the state. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not pick this book from John Green. It's like not my type at all. It's like deja vu with Green's Paper Towns but I heard lots of good news of this.


    Yani @ www.paperboulevard.com

    ReplyDelete